Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Elsa Kawai: Portfolio - Macro Photography

Take a look below at my new collection of Macro photography. This was my first test with the new macro lens I got this Christmas -- the Nikon 105 mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor Lens.

This is a wonderful lens to start off my 2007 photo series. The macro lens forces me to experience wonderful, minuscule details that I would otherwise overlook. In a way it forces me to look deeper into my life and my surroundings.
 
How to make tiny, wintry details look sexy on macro?

Well, most of the shoot below was on a gloomy cloudy day. The trick here is that when you find something you want to photograph, make sure that the foreground is bright. For example, the image directly below of the dandelion seed head was taken in the woods; I took it with me as I walked. I was searching for just the right background to shoot it against. As I walked, I noticed that the trees were color coded and had differing patches of color on their trunks.  When I saw the bright orange, I was drawn to its richness and vividness, and a certain eastern feel of the color. I decided to use this tiny patch of orange as a background for my equally small dandelion.
 
 
The macro lens can really transform how we see things around us.  Here are some more images, exclusively on this blog, that I took with my new macro lens:
 
 
 
 
 
And here are some others that can be found on my web site as well:
 
 
 
 
Do you have a macro lens?  We would love to see some images you took -- please share these with links in the comment section below.
 
Stay tuned for more images next week.
 
-  Elsa
 
 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a decent photographer yet, but I like this shot I took a few weeks ago. I don't have a macro lens because my Fuji is not compatible with lenses, but it was taken with the macro feature. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/plastik-noise/?action=view&current=DSCF0497.jpg

i love your work.
i think how you used a slight blur to incite more focus on detail is really lovely.

And the tip is useful also. I have the issue of photographing macro against a dark background, and I really see how bright colors bring out the details.

If I may ask a question,
what tips do you have in capturing things that are moving, such as that piece of fluff you photographed?

Anonymous said...

I love your photos. Here is my entry. Helen

Anonymous said...

WOW. This really isn't the type of stuff that I would be searching for, but it's caught my eye. Beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

 I love you pictures and thanks for the tips.  I am going to try them out.  Here are some micro's I did when I first got my camera.  I especially like the way the foxtail and fly turned out.

      http://journals.aol.com/midwestvintage/MyPhotoJourney/entries/2007/01/10/macro/1002

                         Julie

Anonymous said...

Elsa - you are an inspiration. These images are so beautiful and simple to the eye but are so rich in detail and color. Can't wait to see what you do next. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone,  I am glad you enjoy this posting. =)
Any idea for the next posting?? tell me what you like to know.


<b>primalxlust : You ask me about  tips to capture moving, , such as that piece of fluff you photographed? </b>
Turn off the VR for moving subjects like pets, plants moving in wind, or if you are moving in a car or plane. The VR help you to get extra shutter speed that you tend to forget that any movement by the subject will cause blur. :)  I actually learn it from Paul , he told me about it when I anounce my new lens :)

Till then

elsakawai

Anonymous said...

These are some very nice shots.

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/

Anonymous said...

the black and white photo of what looks like a fern is simply beautiful.  what a great way to capture a simple thing like this - this one is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

YOUR MACRO SHOTS ARE GOOD. NOW YOU NEED TO EXPAND YOUR SUBJECT MATTER SUCH AS INSECTS, OTHER TYPES OF FLOWERS, PORTRAITS, ETC.
ROGER.

Anonymous said...


This is incredible art caputured by nature in it's own stages. This is wonderful photograhy taken by you to share with all of the readers.
Elsa keep going on with the pictures they are amazing but very difficult to choose only one mine is the top the colors are beautiful. I love all of them.
                                                      Patty Ann

   http://Journals.aol.com/ridgerunnerP49/simplyjustmyself/

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures!. I was in NH last week when they got a big ice storm and I happen to take some close up pics.. I couldn't get macro macro but this is as close as my camera would let me get..

http://journals.aol.com/tarastomsgirl/LifeisWonderful/

Tara

Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone for this wonderful comment, I do hope to produce more work to share with all of you :)

Anonymous said...

Just viewed the images Elsa, just outstanding, and incredible even for a gal, that can't see quite right on the computer, I personally just got a camera this past summer it is rivaling a morgage in batteries, and usually the best pictures to capture are too low and lose them.....always a frustration...but step by step...as a painter I was overwhelmed by the sheer beauty...great job.  Will send some forward as batteries permit, older archives on my site have some great ones of MAXI, my ball python....quite proud of those.  EM
http://journals.aol.com/rescueplanet/rescueplanet4razor