Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ami Vitale: Photographs

Where does one look for inspiration?  What is your muse?   I read a recent article in Edit, a new magazine published by Getty Images targeted at picture professionals, which surveyed people about what sparked their creativity. 

It got me thinking about the times when I felt completely uninspired before a photo shoot, or sometimes now when I hit a slump working as a photo editor.  I realized that what inspires me the most is looking at the work of other photographers: it makes my heart race, it makes me want to pick up my camera and shoot and it gives me a fresh perspective on photo editing. 
 
One photographer who never fails to inspire me, and whose work I can look at repeatedly and never get enough of is Ami Vitale.   Her photographs seem to live and breathe, she brings us realities from thousands of miles away - up close with an intensity that can make one shudder.  Her awareness of light, which makes many of her photographs look like Rembrandt's paintings, her sensitivity to the emotions around her, and her ability to put these elements together in a perfect graphic balance reflect her unadulterated passion for her subjects and for photography.
 
I could write pages about her photographs but I want you to experience these on your own terms.  So here is a sampling of her work from recent years: 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Don't forget to check out her web site, Ami Vitale-- not only are the images here mesmerizing, it is one of the better designed sites on the web. 
 
And this site features some audio interviews with Ami: Digital Journalist.
 
Tell us what you think of Ami's work and what inspires you.
 
- Monika

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This work is EXCELLANT ! Lighting is beautiful.  Each one has that ""feel"" that really sets it apart from a lot of photographs that you might say were ""only"" very good.  I have a lot of problems tagging a best one but the one of the old person in profile with a hand touching hiis  arm is hard NOT to look at over & over.....they are all really nice. I hate to do the ""I like this one best"" routine when they're all of this good.   Keep it up...........

Inspiration....thats a tough one to answer. Years ago I would be especially  inspired/turned on by going to "short courses" or seminars or maybe observing a good contest judging. Later in a career things sort of switch to an automatic mode or regretable I just didn't get it when I look at a ""take"" on the screen.

Anonymous said...

Great Photography.  Thanks for sharing these painterly photos.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the way the pictures were selected for viewing... a procession of the frailty, of human existence, its fight for survival, education, culture, companionship and accepted outlooks... and the need for continued photography that exposes the world to the reality that where ever the picture was taken it reaches the person seeing it... that life is a constant series of photographs of what we are accomplishing.  ty  se